NCAA Basketball Prediction: Oregon Ducks and Stanford Cardinal
Sunday, February 19, 2012
by Mike Stewart
With little chance of winning the regular season title, both teams are focused on finishing among the top four seeds for the tournament.
Oregon is coming off a heartbreaking 86-83 loss at California, while Stanford has won two straight after losing five of its previous six games. The Cardinal has won six of the last 10 meetings against Oregon, but the Ducks won 78-67 in Eugene on Jan. 5.
Oregon Ducks (18-8): Devoe Joseph scored a career-high 33 points in Thursday’s loss to California, drawing high praise from Bears coach Mike Montgomery. “There wasn't much we could do, we tried everybody on him,” Montgomery said. Joseph is averaging 16.6 points, and he scored 30 while making five 3-pointers against Stanford in January. Oregon committed 22 turnovers against California, and the Ducks are eighth in the Pac-12 in turnover margin at minus-0.96. Reigning Pac-12 Player of the Week E.J. Singler, who was held to eight points against the Bears, averages 13.2 points and 5.6 rebounds.
Stanford Cardinal (18-8): Chasson Randle is peaking at just the right time. The freshman guard tied a career high with 24 points in the Cardinal’s 87-82 win over Oregon State on Thursday, and is 13 for 17 from 3-point range in the past three games. Josh Owens has averaged 9.7 points and five boards in six career games against the Ducks, while Aaron Bright is averaging 11 points in three meetings. Bright broke out of a mini-slump against Oregon State, scoring 20 points and shooting 4 for 9 from beyond the arc. Stanford leads the Pac-12 in rebounding margin at plus-5.8.
1. Stanford is 13-2 at Maples Pavilion and 64-18 since the start of the 2007-08 season.
2. Oregon is 11-3 this year in games decided by fewer than 10 points.
3. Owens had five rebounds against Oregon State to give him 500 for his career.
NCAA BASKETBALL PREDICTION: Cardinal 74, Ducks 62.
- NIT Tournament Predictions and Odds: Nevada vs Stanford
- NCAA Pick and Scores: Arizona State Sun Devils at Stanford Cardinal
- NIT Championships Predictions: Minnesota vs Stanford
- NIT Championship Predictions and Odds: Stanford vs Minnesota
- NIT Semifinals Predictions & Odds: Massachusetts vs Stanford