NCAA Basketball Prediction: Texas A&M Aggies at Kansas Jayhawks
Monday, January 23, 2012
by Joe Rodriguez
Preseason prognostications suggested this would be a matchup of the Big 12's top two teams.
Texas A&M Aggies and Kansas Jayhawks were projected as co-favorites in the preseason coaches poll, but the Aggies and the seventh-ranked Jayhawks are headed in opposite directions.
Kansas, which has won or shared seven straight league titles is off to a 6-0 conference start and is again in the driver's seat, while Texas A&M is 2-4, including an 0-3 mark on the road.
Texas A&M Aggies (11-7): It took overtime in an 81-75 home win against Oklahoma on Saturday, but the Aggies finally topped the 80-point mark for the first time since Nov. 13, their second game of the season. Scoring has been the No. 1 culprit for Texas A&M's struggles. In four conference losses, the Aggies scored 52, 50, 51 and 51 points, falling by an average of 15.5 points. Junior guard Elston Turner is doing his best to pick up the slack, reaching double figures in each of the past seven games.
Kansas Jayhawks (16-3): Entering this season, coach Bill Self and the Jayhawks knew they'd need a ton of production out of senior guard Tyshawn Taylor if they were to continue their impressive run in the Big 12. And in the last three games, Taylor has delivered. He's scored 78 points in that stretch, including 22 in a 69-66 victory at Texas on Saturday. Taylor made a slew of clutch plays with the game on the line, saying afterward: "Coach says big-time players make big-time plays, and that's what I was thinking about."
1. The Jayhawks are 6-0 in conference play for the third time in the Bill Self era and the sixth time in the 16-year history of the Big 12.
2. Kansas center Jeff Withey has 35 points and 27 rebounds in his last three games.
3. The Aggies are 10-0 this season when holding their opponents under 60 points.
BASKETBALL PREDICTION: Jayhawks 69, Aggies 53.
- NCAA Betting Odds: Kansas Jayhawks and Texas A&M Aggies
- NCAA Big 12 Tournament Picks: Texas AM vs Kansas
- NCAA Championship Free Picks: Kansas Jayhawks vs Kentucky Wildcats
- NCAA Championship Game Predictions: Kansas vs Kentucky
- Final Four Predictions & Odds: Ohio State vs Kansas