NCAA Betting Odds ans Picks: Arizona State Sun Devils vs Stanford Cardinal
Wednesday, March 07, 2012
by Mike Stewart
Arizona State finished a dismal regular season with back-to-back wins, while Stanford beat California on Sunday to keep the Bears from claiming a share of the Pac-12 regular-season title.
The Sun Devils are coming off their best game, an 87-80 upset of rival Arizona on Sunday. Arizona State shot 55.8 percent in the win, and they’ll need another strong outing against Stanford, which ranks third in the Pac-12 in scoring defense.
Stanford Cardinal (20-10): Forward Josh Owens, who was named to the All-Pac-12 second team, averages 9.8 points and 5.8 rebounds while shooting 64.2 percent in five career games against the Sun Devils. Aaron Bright scored a team-high 16 points against Arizona State last month, and he’s averaging 9.3 points in three career games against the Sun Devils. Stanford outrebounded Arizona State 38-24 in last month’s win, and the Cardinal lead the Pac-12 in rebounding margin at plus-6. Chasson Randle, who was named to the Pac-12 all-freshmen team, is averaging 17.4 points over the past five games. He tallied 14 against Arizona State in February.
Arizona State Sun Devils (10-20): The Sun Devils are entering on a high note after scoring 49 points in the second half and recording season-highs in points (87), 3-point percentage (58.3) and free throw percentage (91.7) against Arizona. Carrick Felix scored a career-high 23 points against the Wildcats, but against Stanford last month he shot 1 of 9 for two points. Jordan Bachynski scored 20 points in the win, but leading rebounder Trent Lockett missed the game with an ankle injury. Lockett averages 13.8 points and 5.8 boards, and he had 21 points, seven rebounds, five assists and four steals Sunday against Arizona.
1. The winner faces No. 2 seed California in the tournament quarterfinals on Thursday in Los Angeles.
2. Arizona State has gone 1-8 in Pac-12 tournament first-round games since 2002.
3. Stanford coach Johnny Dawkins has used 13 different starting lineups in 18 conference games, and 10 players average at least 10.5 minutes.
NCAA BASKETBALL PREDICTION: Cardinal 65, Sun Devils 59.
- NCAA Pick and Scores: Arizona State Sun Devils at Stanford Cardinal
- NCAA March Madness Odds: Stanford Cardinal vs California Golden Bears
- NIT Championships Predictions: Minnesota vs Stanford
- NIT Championship Predictions and Odds: Stanford vs Minnesota
- NCAA Basketball Predictions: Illinois State Redbirds vs Stanford Cardinal