NCAA Betting Picks: California Golden Bears vs Stanford Cardinal
Sunday, March 04, 2012
by Mike Stewart
First-place Washington lost at UCLA 75-69 on Saturday to fall to 14-4 in the Pac-12, giving the Bears a shot to share the regular-season title.
California has won five of the last six games against Stanford, including a 69-59 victory on Jan. 29. Stanford, which is coming off a baffling loss to woeful Utah, needs a victory to finish with a winning conference record for the first time in Johnny Dawkins’ four years as coach.
California Golden Bears (23-7): California’s season-high six-game winning streak was snapped by Colorado last Sunday thanks largely to a rare off game by Jorge Gutierrez. The Pac-12 player of the year candidate missed all seven of his shots in his first scoreless game since Jan. 2, 2010. Gutierrez averages 13 points and 5.4 boards, but he’s shooting only 32.4 percent in his last four games. Allen Crabbe scored a game-high 18 points against Stanford in January, and his 15.2 points per game ranks fifth in the league. Justin Cobbs needs one more assist to reach 150 for the season and move into 10th place on the school’s single-season assists list.
Stanford Cardinal (19-10): Chasson Randle trails Washington’s Tony Wroten in the Pac-12 freshman of the year race, but he’s quietly putting together an impressive season. Randle averages a team-high 13 points, and he’s shot 21 of 33 (63.6 percent) from 3-point range over the past six games. Dwight Powell has averaged 11.6 points and six rebounds in three career games against California, but Josh Owens surprisingly has only 24 points in six career games. Owens averages 12.4 points and six rebounds, and his 59.4 percent field goal percentage ranks ninth in the nation. Stanford’s rebounding margin of plus-6 leads the Pac-12.
1. Stanford is 64-19 at home since the start of the 2007-08 campaign.
2. California is 2-8 in its last 10 games at Maples Pavilion.
3. Stanford is 12-0 when it scores more than 70 points.
NCAA BASKETBALL PREDICTION: Golden Bears 67, Cardinal 63.
- NCAA March Madness Odds: Stanford Cardinal vs California Golden Bears
- Basketball Prediction: Stanford Cardinal vs California Golden Bears
- NCAA Basketball Predictions: Illinois State Redbirds vs Stanford Cardinal
- 2012 NIT Basketball Odds and Picks: Cleveland State vs Stanford
- NCAA Betting Picks: Oregon State Beavers and Stanford Cardinal