No 1 Wildcats Nip Tar Heels in a Final Second of the Games
Saturday, December 03, 2011
by Joe Rodriguez
Doron Lamb made a pair of momentum-shifting 3-pointers down the stretch and freshman Anthony Davis came up with the game saving block as No. 1 Kentucky Wildcats hung on to beat No. 5 North Carolina Tar Heels 73-72 at Rupp Arena.
Lamb scored 14 points and his 3-pointers, one at 5:39 remaining and the other at 3:47, helped keep the comeback-minded Tar Heels at bay. Kentucky played from behind most of the game and took the lead for good when Davis made a jumper to give the Wildcats a 61-60 lead they never relinquished.
But Davis made his biggest contribution in the waning seconds when he blocked the potential game-winning jump shot of John Henson.
North Carolina (6-2) got 14 points and eight rebounds from Tyler Zeller, 14 points from Harrison Barnes, 11 points from PJ. Hairston, who wasn’t expected to play because of a wrist injury, and 10 points and eight rebounds from Henson.
- Top 25 NCAA Odds: No 5 North Carolina at No 1 Kentucky
- 2012 March Madness Favorites and NCAA Tournament Prediction
- NCAA Elite 8 preview and pick: No 4 Kentucky vs. No 2 North Carolina
- NCAA Championship Free Picks: Kansas Jayhawks vs Kentucky Wildcats
- 2012 Final Four Predictions: Louisville Cardinals vs Kentucky Wildcats